Thursday, February 10, 2011

Facing reality

These days, downtime after school has been filled with job searching, submitting my resume, and posting my personal information on career-oriented websites that will only yield calls from companies who want to pay me to relocate to Madison, Wisconsin. Oh, the joys of unemployment!

However, it's not even really about not bringing in the dough. Before I left for this trip, everyone (myself included) told me that this would be a life changing experience for me. My sister was convinced that I'd move to the motherland and find my inner hippie, only to return with dreadlocks and tattoos and a new calling to be a teacher. My time here has certainly been life changing, but in different ways than I expected. In fact, I will leave here more focused and driven than ever before. Taking a little vacation from the career and life that I was building for myself in Baltimore has allowed me to realize that I love working, and I really miss it. I miss the responsibilities and deliverables and craziness of the agency world. I miss the fast-paced environment. I miss working collaboratively with the incredibly smart and constantly-evolving people that the field of interactive demands. It looks like being here has made me realize that I need something that will keep me on my toes. So, thanks Israel. I guess I have actually learned a lot about myself. I think I already knew all of those things, but it took an experience like this to force me to face them. Before, the concept of settling down presented a challenge—I always had this itch to wander. If I'm honest with myself, it was hard to commit to one thing because I knew that settling into a certain place meant not getting out and seeing the world and experiencing new things. I feel that being a part of this program has satisfied that itch, and as a result, I can peacefully go back to what I love to do. No internal conflicts necessary.

To get to the point, applying for jobs and going through this process is a harsh reality to face. But, I couldn't be more excited for what the future holds.

The benefits of working in a "creative" environment...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

| Top ↑ |