Sunday, October 10, 2010

Top Ten

Today marked the first day of Ulpan; the classes that we all take to learn the Hebrew language. In my initial interview for this program, I mentioned that I had studied Hebrew for up to 8 years, so naturally the program organizers assumed that I would be past the beginner level. Alas, I have forgotten pretty much everything that I dedicated a significant portion of my early life to learn, so I found myself very comfortably situated in the beginner level class. We learned a lot today. I can now tell you in Hebrew what my name is, where I live, and where I'm volunteering, as well as the verbs to teach, to learn, to write, to read, and the noun for "new immigrant". And I can count to ten! What a big day. Really though, Ulpan is amazing. We learned so much in one day, I can't wait until I'm able to confidently communicate with the people in this city.

a glimpse at my workbook. how's my handwriting?

After class, we experienced the most delicious falafel, and then spent some time at the mall so that I could buy a bathing suit (I live in a beach town and left my bathing suits at home... classic). It was on the bus ride home when I thought of an interesting concept for my blog. So here it is, my first top ten list...

Top ten differences between Israel and the US
10. Here, we speak Hebrew. In the US, we speak English.
9. Here, the Hebrew teachers want you to call them by their first names, answer their cell phones in class, laugh at your jokes, and don't yell at you when you talk to your friends in class. In the US, not so much.
8. In the US, sunsets are beautiful, but here, sunsets look like this:

7. The US has squirrels, Israel has cats
6. In the US, I had no roommates. Here, I have famous roommates (go to 2:10):


5. Free Israeli outdoor gyms!

4. Instead of Vinny Ronnie, we have Goose
3. Instead of The Situation, we have Rolan
2. In Israel the bunnies are racist

1. (this is a long one, and cheesy, so bear with me) In the US, I was already spoiled enough with all of this:
  
  
but now I get all of this too! 

2 comments:

Sarah Wolf said...

fantastic post!!! hahah i just laughed way too hard. i love being your roomie and having such wonderful roomates!!! :) and seriously. those bunnies were racist.

senari said...

you have officially replaced sensitive chris my emo-est friend.

<3

Post a Comment

| Top ↑ |