Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Family Dinner


If you know me, then you're fully aware of my unabashed affinity for The Jersey Shore (show, not beach). How could anyone deny Pauly D's charm... and hair? Or Snookie's common sense? I mean, would you have thought to ask J-Woww to hold your earrings before clobbering Angelina? Probably not. In all seriousness, they're all so very ridiculous, but the one thing that truly warms my heart is how much they love eachother. They're a family! Which is why I immediately felt at home when, on our first night here together, my roommates and I had our first family dinner. Pasta! How appropriate.

Uri, Brian, Rolan, Goose, and Sarah

Today was a great day in this paradise that we call Ashdod. As an orientation activity, we got split up into groups and had to do an Amazing Race-like scavenger hunt. We received clues and had to take the bus all over the city. We went to both of the malls in Ashdod, which was incredibly useful, but also dangerous. My favorite part was the shook- the outdoor market that's open every Wednesday. It was amazingly cool; so much fresh produce, t-shirts, jewelry, fish, meat (not for me but very neat to see), and an entire stand dedicated to olives. There were so many beautiful colors, it was amazing.

Another thing that I'm discovering is the incredible diversity in Ashdod. French and Russian are spoken just as commonly as Hebrew. My roommate Brian speaks fluent Russian, and it was seriously beneficial during the scavenger hunt (although a 20 minute detour to the beach resulted in us to coming in dead last... we weren't too upset about it). Everyone knows how much I truly appreciate diversity. I am really loving everything about this city.

I'll leave you with a picture of our delicious meal from tonight's family dinner- stir fry! My roommate Alex is an aspiring chef and we're all benefiting immensely.

He was more excited than he looks.




Much love to #austinshore- you'll never be replaced

0 comments:

Post a Comment

| Top ↑ |