Saturday, December 4, 2010

2 months!

I realized today that it's been exactly two months since I arrived in Ashdod. It's so crazy to think about how quickly time has gone by, yet at the same time, I feel like I've been here forever. In our first week, during one of our orientation activities, our city organizer told us that this trip would be filled with a many highs and many lows. Reflecting on these past 2 months, I guess that's somewhat true. Living with 7 other people is not always easy, especially when you're a) as particular as I am, and b) used to living alone. You could say that working with kids can be trying at times, but that's not because they're rambunctious or that I hate the job, it can just get exhausting. But if those are my only (minor) complaints, I think I would say that this trip (so far) is filled with many more highs than lows. We've traveled all over Israel, and we have many more trips planned. I've toasted friends on a rooftop in Jerusalem overlooking the Kotel with a meteor shower overhead; I've floated in the Dead Sea at 3am with some of my closest friends; Rolan and I work at a school with students and teachers that love us and value our opinions; I've been welcomed into the home of an Israeli family for a traditional Shabbat dinner; and most of all, I get to experience all of this with the most amazing people.

However, I may have spoken too soon, because I have a sinking feeling that perhaps our hardest week here is imminent. Tomorrow we get shipped off to an army base for 5 days to participate in what is called the Sar-El Army Experience. Basically we get to wear the uniform, sleep at the base, and take part in the day-to-day activities that go on there. I'm thinking this will involve eating horrible food (I've heard that we're fed a lot of tuna fish and hard boiled eggs, which are, in my opinion, the two grossest foods on the planet), taking cold showers and doing a lot of grunt work. But because I'm an eternal optimist I can also say that this will probably be an incredible learning and bonding experience. Plus, let's be honest, I look great in army green. I'm also really hoping that they'll let me keep the combat boots. Only time will tell.

Upon our return to Ashdod, myself and a few other girls are planning on driving to the Negev for a night to camp out (we're staying in a teepee!). I've heard that the stars are absolutely unbelievable. That being said, the Traveling Hippie will be absent for a few days, but never fear, I'm sure I'll have plenty of new stories to share when I get back. Stay tuned!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

| Top ↑ |